Tuesday, August 29, 2023

"When I Fooled the World" (A Song by Me!)

Hello Friends. I fell in love with the song "Viva La Vida" (by the group ColdPlay) the very first time I heard it. It was the MUSIC not the lyrics that I fell in love with and ever since then I haven't been able to get it out of my head. So, I did what I do and wrote some new lyrics that made the song more personal to me and very autobiographical. Here's a link to a karaoke version if you want to follow along with my song:


When I Fooled the World
by Gary L. Clendenon (c) 2009
Adapted from "When I Ruled the World" by ColdPlay

I used to rule the world
Knees would rise when I gave the word (1)
Now in the morning I sleep alone (2)
Weep for the feats I used to own

I used to cajole with "nice"
Feel the tears in my subject's eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing
"Now he's Courtesy King, long live the king!" (3)
One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castle stands
Upon pillars of salt, and pillars of sand. (4)

I heard the lure of S.M. bells ringing
University choirs were singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
I was a missionary in a foreign field (5)
For some reason I can't explain
Once I'd begun it was never,
never an honest word
That was when I fooled the world. (6)

It was a wail-ful and wild wind
Blew down the doors to let me in
Shattered pillows and the sound of drums
People couldn't believe what I'd become
Revolutionaries wait
For my head to find its mate (7)
Just a lonely heart that's learned to sing
Oh...Praise to the King! Praise to the King!

I hear New Jerusalem bells a ringing
Heaven's Calvary choirs singing
He my Mirror, my Sword and Shield
My Emissary died for me to be healed
For a love I just can't explain
I know St. Peter will call my name
No longer a dishonest word
That was when I fooled the world. (8)


Whoa-o-o-o (x4)

(Whoa...) Hear New Jerusalem bells a ringing
(Whoa...) Heaven's Calvary choirs singing
(Whoa...) Be my mirror, my sword and shield
(Whoa...) My Emissary died for me to be healed
(Whoa...) For a love I just can't explain
(Whoa...) I know St. Peter will call my name
Never a dishonest Word
But that was since He rules the world.


FOOTNOTES:

1. I taught for 10 years.

2. I was divorced in 1998.

3. I was named "Courtesy King" all the years I attended Laurelwood Academy.

4. In 2001 my life came crashing down. I ended up in a Treatment Center for one month.

5. "S.M." = "Student Missionary", went to Indonesia and China.

6. It was in the treatment center that I learned about my facade--since I had even fooled myself!

7. A Sioux Indian saying that I learned in my Recovery is that "The longest journey is from the head to the heart." That has been my experience. This section of my song dedicated to my experience with the personal growth workshops called "Foundations" (https://foundations1.com/)

8. In the Love of GOD through Jesus I have found my salvation from fooling the world with "Nice-ness". Now my goal is to be "Real".

No comments:

Post a Comment